This information is intended to help you avoid some possible pitfalls of newsprint production. They have been compiled from various sources including the Specifications for Newsprint Advertising Production (SNAP), the Newspaper Association of America (NAA) and from many years of research and development within McLaren Press Graphics Limited.
Prior to starting the design of the product, please check with McLaren Press Graphics to get detailed layout specifications (page size, live image area, trim, bleed etc.) These specs should also appear on your quote. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact our customer service. This eliminates production issues when the files are submitted.
-High Resolution Press-ready PDF files are the required file format.
-If you have any questions regarding the preparation of these files, please call McLaren Press.
-File transmissions should be done via FTP. Please
call McLaren Press Graphics to get FTP site info.
General Design Guidelines
- Rules that are 4 points or below should be made up of 1 colour onl
- Small type – Sans-serif fonts 7 points or smaller, Serif fonts 12 points or smaller and fine serif fonts14 points or smaller should be made up of 1 colour onl
- Type smaller than 12 points should not be reversed out of a 4 colour
- Type smaller than 10 points should not be reversed
- Reversed type should not be positioned in any background consisting of a Total Ink Coverage less than 45%.
- Type should not be reversed out of yellow or any light coloured background
- Screen values above 85% will generally produce a
- Do not use tiffs or jpegs with black type in the This causes 4 colour black, which causes problems with registration. Black type should be black only.
- Black solids should be 100% black onl Support colours are not recommended.
- Press Ready PDFs must be CMYK to avoid unwanted color shifts that could occur if converted from RGB using our rip system.
- If final PDFs have an embedded icc profile, all files must all be provided in the same format to avoid conflict in our rip system.
General Printing Specifications
Ink laydown – cyan, magenta, yellow and
Dot Gain – allow for 30% on all images
Line screen – McLaren produces plates at 100 lpi
(A minimum of 300 dpi input resolution for graphic elements is required for good reproduction
when outputting to plate). Avoid scaling in composing application in excess of 20 percent plus
or minus, in order to maintain full resolution.
Total Ink Coverage – McLaren recommends that a Total Ink Coverage should not exceed 240%. (Total Ink Coverage is the sum of all the ink values in the darkest area of a
separation. Please call Mclaren Press for assistance in achieving these levels)
Production Delays plus Additional Charges
We highly recommend visual inspection of final Press ready PDFs for proper page position, possible low resolution images, or any font issues before submitting PDFs to McLaren.
McLaren Press Graphics does not accept responsibility for production problems when the supplied material does not meet these specifications.
McLaren Press Graphics reserves the right to charge back to the client for costs of additional material used and file manipulation time, due to variances from the above specifications.
If in doubt about any of the above information or for technical assistance, please contact Customer Service at McLaren Press Graphics